Growing up having congee for breakfast was one of the best things during what we called “the cold face” of the year . There are so many variations, but my favorite was called boiled rice: plain rice boiled into a porridge with a bunch of amazing side dishes. The most common is called joke: rice porridge cooked with meat and broth, an egg stirred in while hot, finished with a sprinkle of cilantro and onions. This is a combination of the two which is easier if you don't have time to make all the sides. Don't forget Red Boat fish sauce which makes breakfast perfectly umami!
I keep containers of cauliflower rice and chicken broth in my freezer for easy breakfasting.
- 2 cups thai chicken broth (link)
- 3 cups freshly ground cauliflower or
- 2 cups already cooked cauliflower rice (link)
- ¼ lb of ground pork fresh or thawed
- pinch of salt
- fish sauce
- chopped cilantro
- chopped green onion
- sliced ginger
- Stir the ground pork into the cool broth. Add the cauliflower
- Cook over medium low heat until cauliflower is tender and pork is cooked through. Add salt to taste knowing that fish sauce is salty as well.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with fish sauce, cilantro, green onion, and ginger to taste. Keep garnishing as you eat.