Now that it is grilling season we have been having fun! While the grill is still hot and the coals done with dinner (or lunch) throw on some bratwurst and veggies for breakfast the next day.
A friend of mine noted that my breakfasts seem so complex. That stumped me for a moment. I feel like I have been making simple dishes, at least for breakfast! Then I realized I do most of my prepping in advance. Chop onions for breakfast while you are chopping them for dinner: put them in the container in the fridge so they are ready to go when you need them. I have frozen broth in the freezer for every occasion, so breakfast soup is always easy.
This dish is in that very tradition. Have the onions cut in advance and the sausage and veggies grilled. All it takes is eight to ten minutes to warm things up. A couple of fried eggs on top make for a delicious variation, but its plenty of food with out. This recipe serves 2 generously.
- 2 bratwurst
- 1 yellow zucchini (halved length wise)
- 1 green zucchini (halved length wise)
- 1 small cauliflower or half a larger one cut into 2 large chunks
- 1 small yellow or white onion diced
- 3 tbs fat for cooking
- green onions for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste (usually the sausage is seasoned so don’t overdo it)
- Grill the bratwurst, zucchini and cauliflower a day or two before you plan to have this breakfast. On the day of, chop all of them into cubes.
- Cook the diced onion in the fat over medium heat
- Toss in the cubed sausage and veggies. Stir occasionally until hot. Garnish and serve.