We have had amazing luck finding sugar free bacon. It was a challenge at first. Going through the isles of any market, INCLUDING health food stores, there is sugar added to everything. Tails and Trotters began making sugar free bacon as we were asking for it over and over. Recently we found some at New Seasons as well, but 3 weeks after buying it the price went up $3 a package!
This dish can include red or yellow peppers if you are not avoiding nightshades, but it is delicious without. Our favorite way to eat it is with smoked salmon. Fried eggs on top makes for a delicious dish, but many of you were looking for egg free breakfasts… so give the salmon a try!
We have found salmon smoked WITHOUT sugar in both Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but like all food in the US today it is hard to find anything without added crack… ah, I mean, sugar…
- 4 slices of bacon diced
- 1 small onion chopped into small cubes
- 1 small yellow zucchini chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 a small cauliflower chopped into small pieces
- 1 green onion chopped for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a pan until just crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions and cauliflower to the bacon grease in the pan over medium heat and cook until tender. Stir infrequently so that they brown.
- Add the zucchini and continue to cook 3 or 4 more minutes until zucchini is tender but not mushy.
- Transfer to a warm plate, sprinkle with the spring onions and serve!